Bit of mouthful that title ain’t it? Trust me I tried to make it more catchy and short but it just wasn’t working… This blog post is going to do what it says on the tin (title…), I’m going through 5 things I’ve learnt from having quite a few tattoos. This is something I feel like I can finally talk about after having tattoos for a few years now.
I’m not covered in tattoos, far from it but I think the last time I counted I have around 25-30 tattoos ranging in size all over my body so I feel like I know kind of what I’m talking about when it comes to this topic. I have a love/hate relationship when it comes to saying I don’t look like the ‘typical/normal’ type of person to have quite a few tattoos but that’s kind of fun at times to see peoples reactions.
I think it’s important to do this blog post because not only me for reflection but for people thinking of getting tattoos and also it’s quite interesting to see how time can change thoughts and opinions on tattoos. I love writing about tattoos too and reading/watching about other peoples…it can be such a personal thing that it’s always interesting to have a peek in.
So let’s get into these 5 things I’ve learnt…who doesn’t love a list blog post aye?!
- Not every tattoo has to have a meaning – Pretty obvious one to start with but it’s true. I don’t know where the assumption came from that every tattoo must have a reason in order for you to get it. Half if not more of my tattoos don’t really have any other meaning than I like them and wanted to get them. Yes take some thought into getting them but not everyone you get has to have this deep meaning.
- Your opinion is the only one that matters – Shocking huh?! It’s your body that is getting a tattoo that you’re going to live with for the rest of your life so make sure YOU love it. Yes your mum or aunt might want to pip in with an opinion but don’t let it cloud your judgement.
- Take care of your tattoos – You’ve just spent how ever much on a piece of art that is going to be on your body so it is in your best interest to look after it when you first get it and also during your life. There’s so many good tattoo aftercare products out there that help enrich the colour of your tattoos and also quality of them. I personally really recommend using them even if it’s just once a week, it’s worth taking some time out of your week to look after such beautiful additions to your body.
- You’re not going to always love every tattoo you get – So you get a tattoo, it’s for life because funnily enough it’s permanent and a few years down the line you’re not loving it as much… You know what?! THAT’S FINE! You can’t expect yourself to love something for the whole of your life, that’s an incredible amount of responsibility and thought to go into something. Tell me is there anything else that you have to make that much of a decision on and be expected to stick by for the rest of your life?! So why should a tattoo come with it? I love all my tattoos but are there some I don’t love as much as some…yes but it doesn’t mean I regret any of them. I’ve said it before but I love how a tattoo can represent a certain memory or part of your life.
- Over time you forget your tattoos are there – I know this one sounds weird but your tattoos just become part of you and you forget they’re there for the most part. Therefore you don’t tend to take much notice of them other than people maybe pointing them out. I’ve certainly found this with quite a few tattoos I’ve had for a few years, especially my back…for one I can’t see it and two it’s not exactly something I have a habit of getting out.
It’s been cool getting to talk about tattoos for a blog post, a nice change from the content I’ve been making recently. I get that tattoos aren’t for everyone but I hope people can appreciate the beauty of the art they are.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and giving my latest post a read. Be sure to come back again next week for a brand new post.
Until next time,
Check me out on my other social platforms…