*AD | Contains gifted items from Gaston Luga.
I can’t actually believe I’m typing this but it’s officially under a few days until we head to California for our two week family holiday! That of course means that a long haul flight is imminent and you can’t get much longer for America than a nice 11 hour long flight to LAX.
Since this is only my second long haul flight, I haven’t got loads of experience in what to pack and not to pack. However, I’ve rethought what I packed last time for my carry on bag to ensure I’m taking items I will use and need this time. I always find post and videos like this helpful because some people pack things that I wouldn’t even of thought of and also they’re exciting to read/watch in the lead up to a holiday. It’s also quite interesting to see what people think is essential to a long haul flight too. You have typical things like books and I always end up bringing one but never get round to reading them as there’s too many films to watch ha.
I was very kindly *gifted the perfect bag for my carry on luggage from the Swedish brand Gaston Luga. They create Scandinavian designed products for everyday use and encourage everyone to go #anywherewithGL . The guys over at Gaston Luga are offering everyone who follows me a discount code for 15% off your order which is awesome. Just enter ADOSEOFAPRIL at the checkout. Currently they are also running a promotion where you get a free Arlig travel bag worth £29 with any backpack purchase. What’s great is they also offer free delivery and returns which is always a bonus. Check out their website here.
I decided to go with the Classy backpack in Black as it was the perfect size to fit everything I needed to take with me on board the flight but also looks super stylish and chic. See I wasn’t only thinking practically but was also thinking about the potential for content in the airport for Instagram. Gaston Luga design the bags for everyday use and you can so tell that with little details like specific compartments for laptops, passports, keys and phones…ensuring everything has it’s place and it easy to find.
Lets get the absolute essentials out the way that I’m packing and things I pretty much go nowhere without or kind of need to leave the country for a holiday…
- Purse/cardholder – Still loving my personalised card holder from Michael Kors and my small but handy purse from Accessorize.
- Airpods – Probably one of the most extravagant but best purchases I’ve made in a while. I’m a massive fan of the Apple earphone shapes so these are perfect. Once you go wireless, it’s hard to go back. I will be taking a pair of wire earphones as well to listen to all the movies I’ll struggle to choose from.
- Travel documents holder – Passport, boarding pass, holiday documents, money…you name it, all the important stuff will be in there. I got an inexpensive one from Paperchase that does the job perfectly.
- Phone/charger – Do I really need to say anything about this?!
So with the essentials out of the way, let’s dive in to the more exciting (slight exaggeration there) items I’ll be taking with me…
- Cameras – I’m taking my E-PL8 with an additional 45mm lens and also taking a Pentax EPSIO 140m film camera with 2 rolls of Fujifilm Superia 400 35mm 36 exposure film. I feel like it goes without saying that taking cameras is a given for me.
- Sunglasses – I’m taking a few pairs of sunglasses, mostly in my suitcase but you’ve got to have a pair in your carry on luggage ready to put on when you land in your hopefully sunny destination. I picked up a couple of cheap pairs from Primark that will more than do the job.
- I received a really nice Gaston Luga travel bag with my backpack that is perfect for carrying my liquids. I won’t be taking much on the flight as I didn’t really use much last time.
- I found my skin got quite dry and dehydrated whilst on the flight so I’m packing some moisturiser, my Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser and Glossier Balm Dot Com. I’m also going to pack either a face mask or under eye masks just to perk my skin up a few hours before we land.
- Hand sanitizer is a must for me and something I carry around no matter what do on an 11 hour is a must for sure.
- I found my feet got a bit cold on the flight so I’m planning on taking some cosy/fluffy socks with me just to add a bit of warmth and comfort. It’s always nice to have a little bit of home with you.
- One thing I did learn from my last long haul flight was I needed a bit of extra comfort in the form of a pillow when it comes to sleeping. I was so happy I managed to pick up the Toy Story alien travel neck pillow from Primark which obviously goes along with the Disney theme but it’s actually so comfy too. It also has a little clip that allows you to hang it off your bag for easy carrying.
- Jumper – this will no doubt end up in my bag or on top of when we land in LAX but I have a feeling I’ll need it on the flight at times as I’m the type of person that is either really hot or really cold, there’s no in between for me.
I probably have forgot something that I’ll realise when I get on the flight but I feel like I’ve covered all areas pretty well. All the items I’ve mentioned fit in my Gaston Luga bag perfectly and makes it the perfect bag for a carry on.
Now my bag is packed, the only thing left is the few days to countdown before we leave. I’m so so excited and feeling slightly sick from the sheer excitement.
Thanks so much for reading my latest blog post, I hope you enjoyed and be sure to come back next week for a brand new post. Yes there will still be posts going up even when I’m on holiday.
Until next time,
Check me out on my other social platforms…